samedi, juin 16, 2007

She’s a different kind of lady. And you incite me to chorus.

I get it: Lyzel in E Flat. There are endless permutations of ways to love- E, F, Flat, Minor, Now, Forever.

And each subsequent version is all that, and different in it’s own light.
You know we love that song, girl, and each one of your in your audience can sing every single note and phrase of the originally debuted hit.

My aunt came to tell me that she liked the CD I had left playing on her car stereo. “Raheem, right,” she said, and we burst out.
I love you Ji, you take us there.

I have never been in you near. And nearly embarrassed my mother in the movie theater when we saw Dave Chappelle's Block Party together; I couldn’t contain myself. Then you and Erykah Badu and the Roots doing all kinds of funky mixes- you are artists.
And let me thank you for taking us there, you incite us to chorus.

I feel like I’m feelin’ your tune.
You started your tune mellow yet forceful, letting us know something coming, but asking us to hold on for something new. Your crowds love you Ji.
You do a soulful rendition, and we rock with you- takes us back to that cradle- we got soul.

And I love that you always pay tribute to Black music- we love you Ji, we love you sho nuff.

Then the hips o’ dem shiny brown girls in head-wraps gets to rocking, and dey fingas be snappin’.
They’re not Do-Wop girls a la Kate Rushin
These Black Backups keep the pace and let the brothers and sisters know we had betta shout!

And you bring the kids on stage doing dey thang!
Flipping, twirling their headbands and Housing it the F out!
Thank you Ji you really do love Black music,
And you permeate through so many of its genres like chocolate melting through a cinnamon sieve.

And the soul clap.
Can’t go to the soul with out the soul clap- let’s us know that we’re here with you- artist and performer-we’re family.
Take your bow, baby, you incite us, bless us all.

Aucun commentaire: