jeudi, mai 08, 2008

I love this joint: Sweet Tee 'On the Smooth Tip'

I loved this joint, back in the day. And they did a god job on these samples- I guess it's what introduced me more and more to funk. Listening to this just shows me again how much Black listeners always like a bit of old and new- kinda like the artist showing us who they listen to, their influences, then showing us where they've gone from there. So artists connect with us on two levels. And Goddamn! There was a time before Black women were just hoes in Hip-Hop; seems like more women were in the game then than now and here I think of McLyte who rapped about a guy who died of AIDS, and Queen Latifah, who welcomed us into her queendom. Stop the Violence! Commercial Hip-Hop today simply does not address us and is therefore not really for us. Though I love the mesmerizing beats, I just can no longer justify love it in silence and uncritically. We are our brother's keeper, so we need to continue to tell artists like Nellie and 50 Cent that there is more to the game than how much you earn. Woe is 50 for challenging Kanye to a battle, and let sales be the judge. This sort of Hip-Hop is not for us. We preferred the battle in the form of the rap, and ripped in vinyl. Jingling Baby, go 'head baby!

Aucun commentaire: